Monday, February 1

History

I was over at Mom and Dad's yesterday when their paper came and I saw an article on the front page that cought my eye. It had this great old picture of people in front of this beautiful old house. Of course, this is right up my ally so I had to read and see what was up. (the picture is below, courtesy of Messenger Post Newspapers).



The article was about, in short, a house built in 1810 that had just been knocked down to make room for condos or some such thing. Here are links to the two articles:
Two Centuries: The story of Lincoln Hill
Lincoln Hill Inn Demolished

This piece of history - gone. What is going on with people and towns throwing away their heritage? What kind of place or person are you without your history? So many stories and artifacts and things to learn gone because of a mix of factors. Selling of property, no decendants, money hungry developers - until they do another story we will not know the full story, but I can say this: it really is a sad day when people favor making another million over their past. What is a price for your past? How much are you willing to throw away?

Do not get me started on development. I have seen way too many nice corn fields, old barns and homes, and cow pastures turned into tracts of modern houses - cheaply made, over priced eyesores that are so close together you can stand between two and touch both. Developers take over land and squeeze as much money as they can out by exploiting every resource on it. Then they build and build until it is full, and then move on to the next place. Money, money, money.

It is all so very sad to me. Even in my own tiny home town, there has been so much done. The oldest and most historic barn in town looks like it is being allowed to rot into the ground. A resturant that had been in business since before WWII was bought by a crook who burned it down for insurnace money and fled the country. This same crook killed a herd of Buffalo by denying them water during a heat wave in July. what s left of the building sits now, empty and unmaintained and the buffalo pasture is stark and empty except for the occasional cow allowed to graze there.

Landmarks and memories and history - all gone.

I will follow this story on Lincoln Hill and let you know what happens next.

Nothing is more important than history. Its lessons are invaluable. Old homes, old buildings, old people - all the stories and lessons and ideas that we could all do well to listen to.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I used to LOVE Lincoln Hill. I had no idea they were demolishing it. What a terrible terrible shame. That was a beautiful place.

    Meredith, I just looked at your blog and was surprised you live in Webster! I live in Irondequoit!!!

    ReplyDelete