Wednesday, February 10

Genealogy Melt Down




The other day I thought I was going to have a complete and total meltdown.

Anyone who knows me knows that there are a few 'hobbies' (obsessions) that I am a total fanatic about: gardening, WWII, history and, the big one, genealogy. I am the go-to person in my family for all things family history related. I love it. I don't know why. It just feels so very, very important to me.

Roy bought me the latest edition of Family Tree maker for Christmas and we installed it and transferred my files over from my other, very outdated program. But, when the baby calls.... So everything was put on hold, hobby-wise, and I am now just finding a few minutes in the day to check out the new program.

That is what led to my almost-meltdown. The Notes!!!! They didn't transfer over!!!! Not that they weren't still here, somewhere. Buried deep in the code of the saved backup file. But getting them to go into the new program was proving to be a challenge, even for my computer wizard hubby. For some reason, (versions, language, code, blah, blah, blah) they weren't 'allowed' in to Family Tree Maker version 'latest greatest'.

After hours of messing around with the thing, Roy said "Well, maybe you can just re-enter the information." I could feel the meltdown coming on. Year after year after year of work, compiling it in the ever-handy 'notes' feature. Reentering it, after finding it in all that mess, would take, well, years and years and years.

Roy said "Look at is as being able to go back through everything." Always positive, he was trying to save me from a complete breakdown. And as much as a I love a good genealogy review, I was still on the verge of crashing.

Turns out, that after a night of sleeping on it, I found a partial solution. I was able to convert the data into a notepad-readable file and now it will only take about a week, maybe, to 'cut and paste' the notes over. I just have to scroll through the gibberish code until I hit a name, then the notes are right after.

Crisis adverted. Meltdown avoided. Breakdown still pending (there is just so much to do around here).

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness! I was feeling anxiety just reading that!!! I can't imagine....

    Even the cutting and pasting will be a pain in the butt, but at least you won't have to start from scratch!

    ReplyDelete