Monday, January 4

The Word on Soap



I have made soap that actaully looks like, smells like and works like, well, real soap. I base my judgement on comparison to Ivory, which is the soap of choice here.

I made a set of soaps for a friend for Christmas. I made lavendar scented bars from clear base and mixed in little lavendar bits for effect. I also made unscented bars which I colored a light orange.

I made the little tags and wrapped them in nice paper and string and I think they turned out really nice. And I think they make a nice gift.

However, I wonder about the actual practical-ness of it all. It is fun to do and I like the final product in that it is something that I made that I can give as a gift. But after I figure the cost of ingredients, molds, dyes and all that, I really can not justify it as our sole means of household soap. it kind of reminds me of the book, The $64 Tomato, but on a smaller scale.

If I were to really look into starting from scratch with the whole process (buying the animal fat and going from there) it might work out to be a better financial option, per bar. But I can honestly say that boiling down animal fat is not part of homesteading that I want to get into. If I have learned anything from this modern homesteading, it is that the marriage of Laura Ingalls and the Internet is a wonderful thing, and that we are lucky in that we can choose which aspects of homesteading we want to explore and enjoy.

So I am hoping that this does not make me a failure at my homesteading and I know that if I lived in 1870 I would be buying my soap bars at the mercantile. Either that or I would have very dirty children.

1 comment:

  1. You have to admit that yours do not have any extra chemicals and no strong odors, right? Besides it is really nice to receive such a nice gift any time of the year. It's beautiful and nobody would say that soap isnt useful ;)

    ReplyDelete