Thursday, December 31

Resolutions

I always make the same New Years Resolution. The same one that probably half the people that make resultions make. Lose weight. And it never happens. This year, i am going to make that resolution with the clear view that I know it will not happen and these 30 extra pounds i have been hauling around for teh past 10 months from the baby are probably here to stay. So, in addition to this standing resolution, i was looking for something to committ to and actually accomplish.

I didn;t want to just pick something out of thin air which wouldn;t mean anything to me. I could always go with "have more patience" or grow and try to eat a new vegetable (which I might do anyway and it would be an accomplishment. I am a VERY picky eater). But while surfing around my favorite blogs, I found what I was looking for.

More often than not, it was Cold Antler to the rescue. Below is a portion of a post from the other day.

"The new year is just around the switchback. We're almost there and people are talking about resolutions and changes and a hundred tiny things that are going to make us all better people in 2010. I have goals too, but not for the year. I don't have the chops for those kinds of resolutions. I do however, have a system that works and I measure it in hours...

For what it's worth, here is some advice from me. Don't attempt to be a drastically better person in the next calendar year. Don't plan on being thirty pounds thinner, or sixty-thousand dollars richer, or the front man of your own band. Instead, how about just trying to be a slightly better person in the next sixty minutes. This may sound like a weak attempt
but it's not. Results happen slowly and only when we focus on what we want and who we want to become right now. If you want more money, for the next hour, don't spend any and try and pull a quarter off the floor of your car. If you want to lose weight, try not to eat that candy bar for the next hour, and walk up the stairs instead of taking the elevator. If you want to be kinder, spend the next hour on the phone with old friend and tell her you miss her. If you want to plant a garden, raise chickens, or own a farm—spend the next hour online ordering seed catalogs or going to the library for a book on coop building. Make small changes constantly and just try to meet that next turn of the clock one hour smarter, one hour thinner, one hour kinder, and one hour richer and watch your life change.

If everyone could just see the day as 24 chances to make their life a little better, imagine the resolutions that could be met? I try to be an hour better, every hour, and hope those choices add up into something I can grasp with both hands. I think total dedication to the present is what improves ourselves, and not the empty promises that are too big to get our arms around. Just try be one hour better, starting right now. My favorite movie whispers the quote "that every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around". It's a chance worth taking
."

This is perfect. I can actually DO this. I even started early. I went to Wegmans to get a sub for dinner. Roy and Connor and I are all sick. Connor has croup and Roy and I have nasty colds. So, being the least sick of the three, I was nominated to go get something for dinner. While in the check out line, my eyes wandered, as they always do, to the racks of candy bars. 3 musketeers is a wonderful thing. And it even says 33% less fat on teh wrapper, which somehow makes it ok to eat even though it is a candy bar.

I picked it up. I had it inches from sitting on the black belt next to the sub and I could already taste it. I couldn;t wait to get out to the car and rip into it. But I put it back on the rack and physically slapped my hand and said "No" outloud. The guy behind me in line looked at me funny and I felt great.

No comments:

Post a Comment