Tuesday, October 20

Sorry It's Been So Long

It's been a long time since my last post - sorry to those who read this. Things have been crazy here at the homestead.

First the hot water tank went and we needed to bite the bullet and get a new one. We tried to get the most efficent one possible and it works well but it took a bit more out of the budget than we would have liked. I guess I was just under the impression that hot water tanks were supposed to last a long time, like longer than 20 years.

And fall is finally here - the beautiful leaves, the crisp chilly weather, and the massive amounts of yard and garden clean up. Most of it will end up in the compost but a few things, like the Chinese Lanterns and maybe some sedum, will be dried and used for decoration in the house. The beans that I left on the vine are all nice and dry now so they will be saved to plant next year. We really enjoy the purple pole bean, so I think I am going to plant more rows next season.



Part of the before mentioned fall clean up included cleaning up the remains of the trumpet vine that used to be growing up the side of the barn. My loving husband, patient and wise as he is, decided that he was tired of having the vine growing into the tracks of the big sliding doors of the barn. After having quite a time opening the closing the doors to get the trailer out the other day, I looked out the kitchen window to see the trumpet vine waving wildly in the air and crashing to the ground. This was no ordinary vine - it was BIG - about 3 inches in diameter at the base. And now it is gone. I yelled and complained and my husband explained that he was tired of that vine knocking the door off the track. So, today I cut the rest of the stump and carted off the remains. There is another vine, almost just as big, growing up the other side of the barn where the is no door so I am very happy to report that this vine will live a long and productive life.



There are a few flowers trying to give one last showing before the snow starts flying. I have one very pretty little yellow rose and a few wayward poppies in the garden, as well as a small branch of little white climbing roses. It is always nice to see flowers still trying to make a go of it when the leaves around them are red and yellow and brilliant orange. There has been one hard frost here but they seem to have survived.



No comments:

Post a Comment